Tuesday, June 27, 2006

"I'm Taking the Day Off"

I finally admitted to myself that it's okay to take a day off of work, and that I actually deserve a day off of work once in a while. I even admitted to myself that working out in the garage is a good reason to take that day off. The fact that I'm still feeling good about that day off four days later is a testament to the correctness of my decision.

My schedule is pretty busy most weeks. In general, I have one night a week where there isn't some sort of activity that keeps me away from the house until about 9pm or 10pm. It's pretty hard to get much done during the week, and cramming it all into a weekend is something that I've come to realize isn't wholly realistic. So, since this past Friday included an evening off from the band, it seemed like a great day to wear myself out working in the garage.

There were several projects presenting themselves to me:
One - the BMW R90S had recently suffered the slings and arrows of the road, resulting in a damaged front tire. Said tire still needed to be replaced, and it was up to me to get the wheel off the bike and down to the cycle store for replacement. I'll address this story further in another post, no doubt.
Two - dad had given me several flourescent lights when we were cleaning out his shop on Father's Day, and I needed to get one of them hung up in the garage.
Three - there were two Cadillac 500-inch engines sitting on the floor of the garage. Since I now had the engine hoist free from behind the Chevelle, it was an opportune time to put one of them on the engine stand and move the other to a more convenient location.

The day turned out to be terrific. It was supposed to rain all day, but sometime around 2pm it cleared up and got downright sunny. The good weather was welcome, as it allowed me to back the Chevelle out and rehang the other 8-foot flourescent that was already in place. It also allowed me to roll the Cad motor out into the driveway and shoot a few pics once it was mounted on the engine stand. I hope to post pics at some point in the future, but I'm without a digital camera now, so scans must be made from prints. Since I have to borrow use of a scanner, it's a slow process.

The short of it is that I got absolutely EVERYTHING on my list done that day! The lights still need to be wired, but they are up and out of the way. The Cad engine rests proudly on its stand awaiting transformation into a fire-breathing torque monster. The R90S sits with its front wheel removed until I can reclaim the wheel from the tire shop.

The real boon here is the general cleanup of things. It looks much neater out there now, making it easier to move, think, and make more progress. I couldn't be happier. What an amazing day.


Post a Comment

<< Home